BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL SPEECH
- Apply critical thinking skills through research, script development, and assessment.
- Develop interpersonal and small group communication skills.
- Develop presentations relative to professional contexts.
- Practice interview skills.
- Demonstrate organizational skills through the speech preparation process.
- Craft a message using effective language for audience and context.
- Use research to provide evidence and reasoning for presentations.
- Develop verbal and nonverbal delivery skills through practice.
Instructors work with students to develop skills in the areas of scripting, language stylistics, delivery, interviewing, group communication, and assessment (listening and analyzing). Sixty percent of the Spch 102 curriculum centers on delivering speeches to a live audience. Students deliver:
- Two to three special occasion presentations (1-4 minutes)
- An informative presentation (5-7 minutes)
- A persuasive presentation (7-8 minutes)
- A group presentation (time defined by instructor).
Forty percent of the course will consist of assessments and activities such as interviews, discussions, journals, peer reviews, etc.
- What is the difference between Spch 102 and Spch 105? Spch 102 focuses on delivering presentations to a live audience in a variety of civic contexts. Spch 105 focuses on presentations, interviews and group collaboration as relates to professional contexts.
- How large are the Spch 105 classes? We have a cap of 20 students per section.
- What are the main requirements of Spch 105? The Spch 105 curriculum is developed around a series of short presentations (under four minutes), two longer presentations (six to eight minutes), a group presentation, peer/group work, and an interview assignment.
- Where do I get the book required for the course? Currently Spch 102 and 105 are using an eTextbook available through vitalsource.com for $30. Check with your instructor for a valid purchasing link to the book, Get Connected: Idea-sharing in Public and Professional Spaces.
- Can I take Spch 105 online? Not yet.
- Am I required to take Spch 102 or 105? Not all majors are required to take Spch 102 or Spch 105. Currently students enrolled in Early Entry or Pre-Pharmacy program, Nursing, Geology, Civil Engineering, and Computer Science (BSCS) are required to take Spch 102 or Spch 105. Many programs list Spch 102 and 105 as a general election option. Please check the most current course catalog.
- Do speech courses from other institutions or AP courses transfer? If you took speech elsewhere, please submit a syllabus of the course you took to email@example.com for consideration. If the course you took appears to have met the same outcomes, your credit may transfer.
- Can I test out of the Spch 105 elective? We have no test-out option at this time.