BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL SPEECH
- Apply critical thinking skills through research, script development, and assessment.
- Develop interpersonal and small group communication skills.
- Develop presentations relative to professional contexts.
- Practice interview skills.
- Demonstrate organizational skills through the speech preparation process.
- Craft a message using effective language for audience and context.
- Use research to provide evidence and reasoning for presentations.
- Develop verbal and nonverbal delivery skills through practice.
Instructors work with students to develop skills in the areas of scripting, language stylistics, delivery, interviewing, group communication, and assessment (listening and analyzing). Sixty percent of the Spch 102 curriculum centers on delivering speeches to a live audience. Students deliver:
- Two to three special occasion presentations (1-4 minutes)
- An informative presentation (5-7 minutes)
- A persuasive presentation (7-8 minutes)
- A group presentation (time defined by instructor).
Forty percent of the course will consist of assessments and activities such as interviews, discussions, journals, peer reviews, etc.