The Art of the Interview: Helping Employers Say Yes
Spch 210 provides intensive skills training to prepare students for job interviews. Particular attention is given to tailoring application materials and increasing virtual presentation skills.
Course is a fully online, one credit elective offered within varied time frames, based on interest/enrollment.
- Full semester
- First Spring; 2nd Spring; 1st Fall; 2nd Fall
- First Summer, 2nd Summer
- Examine six phases of job interviewing.
- Research three areas of job search: self, job, and organization.
- Examine the role of social media in the job search process.
- Create a networking profile on LinkedIn.
- Tailor a cover letter and resume to a specific job/internship advertisement.
- Identify types of interview questions.
- Construct and present responses to common interview questions.
- Practice and perform verbal, nonverbal, and technical interview skills using three mediums: phone, audio/video capture, and virtual meeting space (e.g., Skype).
- Access to a computer (not a smartphone or tablet)
- Operating System: XP/Vista/Windows 7, 8 & 10/OSX 10+
- Processor: 2.0 GHZ or better
- Memory: 2GB or better
- Recommended Browsers: Chrome 50+, Firefox 28+, Safari 9 (On Mac), IE 11+, Edge
- Flash Player: If using browser other than Chrome, install Adobe Flash Player version 17+.
- Internet: High Speed, broadband Connection
- Peripherals: External or built-in webcam/microphone/speakers/mouse
- Active Go! account for Google G-suite (drive, docs, slides, sheets, hangouts, etc.).
- Acrobat Reader: Available through Adobe’s website.