Spch 314 provides the student with the opportunity to develop critical thinking, research, limited and timed composition, and oral communication skills. At the conclusion of the class the student should be proficient in:
- Researching current global policy and value issues.
- Developing arguments using sound reasoning and evidence.
- Advocating and refuting ideas.
- Demonstrating vocal and physical proficiency in performance.
- Evidencing awareness of self in relation to others in a team and competitive communication environment.
Fifty percent of the course grade is earned through exercises, peer coaching, and practice debates, which prepare students for a final debate. The other fifty percent comes from evidence of competent speaking skills during a final debate, which is presented in front of a panel of guest judges.