AI Winter Institute for Teachers
The AI Winter Institute for Teachers will be offered over three days in early January 2024, where DWR writing and speech faculty will learn from colleagues about incorporating generative AI into their courses.
By participating in the AI summer institute, faculty members can expect:
- Enhanced awareness, knowledge, and skills in AI and information literacy
- Professional development to improve teaching skills by exploring the benefits and risks posed by generative AI in education
- Practical exercises to deepen understanding and explore generative writing, research, and reading tools and techniques for developing AI solutions in education
Format: Three days, in-person
Location: Location TBA
Number of seats: 15
Stipends: $500 for attending at least one session and producing one deliverable related to generative AI.
Day 1: AI Literacy
Wednesday, January 10th from 9 to 1
- Educators seeking foundational understanding of AI to minimize disruption, establish ethical usage guidelines, develop basic AI literacy curriculum.
Day 2: AI Assistance
Thursday, January 11th from 9 to 1
- Educators with basic AI literacy seeking to leverage AI for instructional design and pragmatic use cases to augment existing skills.
Day 3: AI Frontiers (Tentative)
Friday, January 12th from 9 to 1
- This advanced session is built for those who would like to go beyond ChatGPT and start exploring the possibilities for advanced use cases for AI in education.
Competitive funding is available for DWR faculty who would like to pursue projects, assignment design, or policies related to generative AI in education. To qualify for funding, you will need to attend at least one day and produce one deliverable, but are encouraged to attend as many other sessions from other days as you’d like. Previous attendees of the AI Summer Institute are welcome to reapply.
Please complete the application form linked below to indicate your interest in attending the winter institute. The application asks you to address three points: your motivation for participating, how you envision incorporating generative AI into your specific courses, and your current approach to teaching writing or speech in your classes. Applications for the 2024 AI Winter Institute are due January 2nd by 11:59pm.
Contact the AI Insititute director, Marc Watkins.