FUNDAMENTALS OF PUBLIC SPEAKING
- Apply critical thinking skills through research, script development, and assessment.
- Develop organizational skills through the speech preparation process.
- Craft a message using effective language for audience and context.
- Use research to provide evidence and reasoning for presentations.
- Develop verbal and nonverbal delivery skills through practice.
- Apply communication skills to individual and group presentations.
Instructors work with students to develop skills in the areas of scripting, language stylistics, delivery, and assessment (listening to presentations). Sixty percent of the Spch 102 curriculum centers on delivering speeches to a live audience. Students deliver:
- Two to three special occasion presentations (1-4 minutes)
- An informative presentation (5-7 minutes)
- A persuasive presentation (7-8 minutes)
- A group presentation (time defined by instructor).
Forty percent of the course will consist of assessments and activities such as discussions, journals, peer reviews, etc.